Thursday, June 19, 2008

Aridzona Jean and the Garden of Doom

I dreaded it. I put it off. I was saved by two phone calls. I trimmed Hellmo's eyebrows. Eventually, however, I had to (insert eerie music here) check The Garden. Keep in mind please that I checked The Garden two days ago and still have the 8 zucchini, 4 yellow squash, two romas, and about 20 cherry tomatoes from that day's haul taking up a large space on my kitchen counter.


THIS is what I found in The Garden this morning! HELP my god HELP!





There were about 6 small zucchini (about 6 inches long) that I didn't pick today. No doubt they will double in size by tomorrow and triple by Saturday. There will also be about 20 more cherry tomatoes ready to pick tomorrow. I'm thinking I should start bagging up mini-manure and sell it as miraculous designer fertilizer because you wouldn't think all of this food would come out of a 12 x 4, seriously overcrowded, unweeded, totally organic garden.


Here's a photo of the garden. It used to be about 12 x 10, but that big bare spot you see is where the 6 melon plants used to be until the squirrels mowed them down. (squirrels and rabbits STILL won't eat the zucchini) Everything else is crammed into the remaining 12 x 4 section of The Garden of Doom. On the far right, against the wall, are the cherry tomatoes. Those immense green umbrella leaves are the zucchinis. Obscured by those immense green umbrellas are 3 pepper plants and a spaghetti squash vine. Behind those gigantic abundant green umbrellas are the two yellow squash plants, the roma tomato and the grape vine that is still holding it's own.






And yes, you see correctly. Glutton for punishment that I am, that is a sprinkler going in the spot of bare dirt. We certainly don't want those plants to parch and die do we?!





2 comments:

Stockyard Queen said...

And I'll take come minimanure too, please.

Jean said...

When you get your Yak farm, I'll send you a couple of minis who will be more than pleased to produce magical mini-manure for you. Who knows, perhaps a mix of Yak and Mini manure would produce 6 foot tall zucchini plants that would feed half of Montana.