Saturday, January 12, 2008

Zoooooooooooooooooom!

My wonderful hubby (you can see him over at his Dubious Maxims blog), has outdone himself this year. I've been finding it increasingly difficult lately to get around and work the minis. It would seem the warrantee on my shoulders and back has expired and nothing pleases them. Can't rest well because something always hurts no matter my sleeping position. Can't crutch around for long periods because some body part or another whines and squalls. You get the picture. In fact, you probably get that picture in 3-D if you're over 50.

I decided to do yet another search for an electric powered off road vehicle of some type to help me exercise and train the minis. Having had no luck a few years ago, I began searching for heavy duty off road capable mobility scooters. I found some of those that might work. I even found several that definitely would work if I wanted to spend 10K for them. On a whim, however, I decided to try once more to find an electric powered Quad. Neither my horses nor I appreciate noise toys. I found a couple of really heavy duty, state of the art, as complicated as a guy can possibly make them quads. One was still in the design stages and one I'd need to wait about 10 years for it to come down enough in price to afford.

The next and last chance link was for THIS little gem.




I thought about it for a whole 5 days before I ordered it. Nevermind that the local store that advertised the item was in stock, didn't mention that it was in stock in MINNESOTA (cough) until I called them asking if I could just come pick it up. I won't go there... yet. I'll save that for another blog post.

The day after I ordered the new Jeanie Mobile, my power wheelchair coughed, sputtered, tried to run me into several walls and then quit. Well, it quit when you consider that when I tried to go forward it would lurch violently to the right and then shut down. I guess technically it wasn't completely dead, only mostly dead. I cowgirled up for 5 days, but was worn down to only basic feeding and watering needs for the horses and was beginning to wonder if I just piled their stalls full of hay could they wait a week before I had to struggle through the barn again.

Wonder Hubby to the rescue! After more disappointment filled searching for a local company that provided power chairs without having to wait 3 to 4 weeks for delivery, were affordable, and were not outposts for insurance rip-offs (see upcoming blog post), I found ONE company in the metro Phoenix area that actually had this little savior in stock.




We now have my spiffy little Go Chair charging in the kitchen. It smells like a new car. Poor little thing will be hay and dust covered by the end of the week but I have my new Shop Vac to help there. The horses are not sure they care for it's next to noiseless operation and it's candy apple red body, but they'll get used to it. I'll wait a bit before I spring it's horn on them.


So far the Go Chair works great! There are only two minor modifications that I'll make. I'll need to remove the foot rest for barn use as it is a trip hazard when I'm hopping up and down to feed. I'll also need to adjust the length of the controller. Right now it's either too close or I am too buxom because when I lean forward to put hay in the feeders my bosom bumps the joystick (oooh baby!) and I run into the stall fence.

No comments: